VMware Acquires SlideRocket Collaborative Presentation Provider
SaaS-based presentation solution advances VMware's vision for modern end-user computing, delivering next generation applications across any device via cloud computing
PALO ALTO, Calif., April 26, 2011 - VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced the acquisition of SlideRocket, a leading SaaS-based business presentation provider. SlideRocket delivers innovative presentation solutions that uniquely leverage modern concepts of cloud computing, collaboration, social media and mobile computing platforms. More than 20,000 customers and 300,000 users leverage Slide Rocket to more effectively build, deliver and share presentations. SlideRocket is built specifically to take advantage of a modern web and cloud based end-user computing model that blurs the lines between presentations, websites and multi-media content, representing a fundamental shift from PC-era presentation solutions. Terms of the acquisition were not announced.
The acquisition of SlideRocket advances VMware's vision for a modern end-user computing model leveraging cloud computing to securely deliver access to applications and data from any device, where and when a user needs it. Presentation software is second only to email as the most widely used business software. Delivering this critical business solution in a modern, cloud-oriented model will help VMware drive a new model for end user computing for the enterprise.
"The modern end-user environment is mobile, social, collaborative and delivered via the cloud - characteristics that legacy PC-era technologies could never have anticipated," said Brian Byun, VP and general manager, VMware. "VMware is at the forefront of building the core cloud computing infrastructure and enables users to gain ever greater value from cloud-based solutions. SlideRocket's cloud-based architecture, innovative design, and strong integration with other cloud applications and services have transformed a decades-old business productivity software and redefined the way we consume and communicate information."
"SlideRocket was founded with the singular goal of reinventing the way businesses and individuals communicate information," said Chuck Dietrich, CEO, SlideRocket. "In following this vision, we fundamentally changed how people use and think about presentations. SlideRocket helps people improve communications and drive greater results, faster, more efficiently and more creatively. Joining with VMware takes this mission to a larger scale, enabling SlideRocket to advance as a core technology in what will be the modern end-user computing model delivered via the cloud."
SlideRocket is designed specifically to take advantage of modern, collaborative and social technologies, creating an intelligent model for creating, delivering, sharing, and measuring presentations. Delivered as a SaaS offering, SlideRocket offers distinct advantages that separate it from legacy, PC-era presentation technologies:
- Online authoring, editing and access, combined with built-in collaboration and version control allow for simultaneous team-based authoring while preserving a single, consistent file
- Intuitive, web-based interface allows users to easily incorporate video, audio, photos and transitions and quickly assemble rich, dynamic presentations
- Dynamic data feeds from sources like Google, Twitter, and financial services create charts and graphs, social network feeds and embedded financial data that are always up-to-date and real-time
- Shared access, both online and offline, across a range of end-user devices, from desktops to mobile devices and tablets
- Centralized, shared content library increases efficiency, speeds design time and drives consistency across organizations
- Unique real-time viewer feedback and analytics capture key usage metrics, provide insight into presentation effectiveness and enable continual improvement of content
- SlideRocket Marketplace offers an online resource for browsing and purchasing content including themes, stock photography, graphics, data feeds, audio, video, illustrations, animations and plugins.
- Intelligent publishing enables slides to be accessed via a URL, embedded in a web page or blog or shared in an online meeting. Additional security preferences allow authors to control publishing, printing, viewing and password rights
Users create new presentations using a full set of browser-based professional authoring tools built into SlideRocket or quickly import existing legacy presentation applications into the SlideRocket environment, protecting existing content investments.
SlideRocket is provided in a software-as-a-service model in a range of price points starting at free.
Additional information on VMware's acquisition of SlideRocket:
- Executive perspective from Steve Herrod, CTO, VMware
- Executive perspective from Chuck Dietrich, CEO, SlideRocket
- Presentation News Release outlining VMware and SlideRocket acquisition
SlideRocket reinvents presentations by bringing big ideas to life, engaging audiences and driving business. The platform promotes influential story telling through interactive capabilities like audio, rich media and instant feedback that elevate meetings, regardless of time or location. In addition, the measurement analytics provide dynamic sales tools and unmatched customer insight. With SlideRocket you can quickly and easily create and deliver stunning presentations with quantifiable results. For more information, please visit www.sliderocket.com.
VMware delivers virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable IT organizations to energize businesses of all sizes. With the industry leading virtualization platform - VMware vSphere® - customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and operating expenses, improve agility, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2010 revenues of $2.9 billion, more than 250,000 customers and 25,000 partners, VMware is the leader in virtualization, which consistently ranks as a top priority among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com
# # #
VMware and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. Other marks mentioned herein are trademarks which are proprietary to VMware, Inc. or another company.