Share Life as You Live It -- KIN Available From Verizon Wireless on Thursday
New mobile device designed especially for social networkers on the go
LITTLE ROCK, Ark., May 12 /PRNewswire/ -- As millions of people continue to use their mobile devices to take their social networks wherever they go, Verizon Wireless and Microsoft Corp. announce the availability of the new KIN mobile device in stores May 13.
Designed specifically for people who are actively navigating their social lives, KIN blends the phone, online services and the PC to address the needs of a growing demographic of social networkers. For example, according to latest statistics from the popular networking site Facebook, there are more than 100 million active Facebook users who currently access the site through their mobile devices. The KIN phone makes this experience more immediate, convenient and interactive.
"The KIN phone releases users from the confines of their home computers, yet still keeps them plugged in to updates from their friends and families anywhere they go," said Steven R. Smith, president – South Central Region, Verizon Wireless. "One reason why we're known as the nation's largest, most reliable network is because we're constantly evolving to keep our customers connected, not just through phone calls, but also through modern channels such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. The KIN reflects the emerging significance of social networking sites in our lives."
Available in two versions, the new KIN phones include a touch screen and slide-out QWERTY keyboard and offer the following innovative features:
- Always stay in the loop: With the KIN Loop, all of your favorite people and things you love are right on your home screen in real time. You tell KIN who and what is important, and it delivers the latest updates from your favorite websites and social networks such as Facebook®, MySpace and Twitter. You can discover and share, all from one place.
- Share your story with the world: The KIN Spot is the new way to share. Share almost anything – photos, texts, Web pages – with almost anyone. Since the Spot is always on your screen, it's unbelievably easy to drop stuff into the Spot and send by text, e-mail or social network update.
- Your phone, on the Web: With the KIN Studio, almost everything on your phone – messages, contacts, photos and videos – are backed up to a private, password-protected website where you can visit all of your memories anywhere there is a computer. And with virtually unlimited storage, there's almost no limit to what you can keep.
- Capture and share all your memories: The KIN Camera captures all the moments that matter most, and makes it easy to share them. The KIN ONE has a 5 MP lens while the KIN TWO has an 8 MP lens and shoots video in HD. With anti-shake, autofocus and an LED flash, KIN lets you take amazing pictures, even in low light, and post or share them with just one touch. And all your memories are backed up with tons of storage in the KIN Studio.
- Tunes and info – at your fingertips: Find what you need on the go:
- Zune – KIN is the first Windows Phone to feature a Zune experience – including music, video, FM radio and podcast playback. With a Zune Pass subscription and Zune software on your PC, you can listen to millions of songs from Zune Marketplace on your KIN while on the go or load from your personal collection.
- Bing – Web and Near Me (location-based) search.
- E-mail – Support for all popular Web-based mail, POP/IMAP services, as well as Exchange for business e-mail and contact sync. Each e-mail account has its own screen so it's easy to navigate.
- Browser – With KIN, you get full, rich PC-like browsing. You can pan, scan and zoom in and out using touch gestures. And browsing is social; it's easy to share a snapshot of the website you're viewing by dragging it to the Spot.
Pricing and availability
- KIN is available online at www.verizonwireless.com and will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores on Thursday, May 13. KIN ONE is available for $49.99, and KIN TWO is available for $99.99, both after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
- To get the most from KIN, Verizon Wireless customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Email and Web for Smartphone plans start at $29.99 for unlimited monthly access.
- For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
- For more information and a specification sheet, please visit www.KIN.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving nearly 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 81,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, Nasdaq: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Microsoft Corporation
Founded in 1975, Microsoft is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless